[Bf-cycles] Render passes and flat mirrors

David Fenner d4vidfenner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 02:49:25 CET 2014

About the different material override per render layer, it is sort of
possible, but a far from optimal. What you can do is copy all the node
trees you want into a single material and separate those node trees by
object index through a mix shader. You can also do it by uv attribute, or
vertex color, maybe some other way too. This is the way I do a multimatte
material (anti-aliased object buffers, cause current are no good), by using
emmision shaders mixed by object index applied in the material override,
and having no bounces (sadly a new scene is needed for this). This way you
can get color buffers (RGB) with good anti-aliasing. Another cumbersome
thing is having transparency, cause you have to copy your transparency
settings from your shaders (like leaves) to be mixed again by object index
in this "super-multimatte-shader" that separates settings for every object
although being only one material. Is sort of a way to make a per object
material override but by using a single material. It would be really great
though if there was some automatic way that render layer material override
wouldn't override transparency settings (or displacement in the future),
this way it would be much easier to set up custom passes, since you could
just mix your shaders with object index.