[Bf-cycles] Cycles: Add an experimental CUDA kernel.

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 09:21:06 CEST 2014

There's a reason why it's called experimental :)

Thanks for the feedback tho, we'll keep optimizing the stuff in kernel
before considering features ready for the official Supported kernel.

As for the memory measurement -- blender reports how much memory it
requested from the system (regardless of CPU/GPU). The actual memory usage
in physical memory might be bigger because of fragmentation and alignment.
Making it sure requested memory is placed nicely into the physical one is
the driver's job, blender doesn't deal with this, because it's simply out
of our control.

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Carlo Andreacchio <carlorules at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just tested the memory usage, there still is a massive increase in memory
> usage when using experimental vs supported kernels...
>
> Generic Test scene:
> Supported - 850mb
> Experimental - 1408mb
>
> Tried to run Mike Pans BMW benchmark but I could not get it to load under
> experimental kernel (1500mb ram limit, kernel was too big)
>
> Are you using a external program to report the memory usage for the GPU?
> Cycles does not report GPU memory correctly to blender.
>
> Carlo
>
> >Hi Thomas and Sergey,
> >
> >http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2014-August/067323.html
> >
> >Firstly, thank you kindly for adding experimental GPU SSS cubin files,
> >what an exciting, unexpected, surprise!
> >
> >Amazed to find Experimental cubin using exactly same amount of memory as
> >Supported cubin in a complex scene containing SSS. Also, less memory
> >than Blender 2.70a and 2.69.1 (GPU SSS test version).
> >Understandably Experimental cubin are a little slower than Supported
> >cubin due to SSS calculations, but not by a massive amount!
> >If helpful/interested added GPGPU memory consumption and speed test
> >results at the end of this mail.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin