[Bf-cycles] BVH White Papers

Gavin Howard gavin.d.howard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 16:47:43 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I have been working on finding the best way to implement the BVH for
motion blur in Cycles. I have found two white papers that may have a
good answer. The first is just a new way to do BVH's in general. The
second is a way to extend the first for motion blur. I have uploaded
the pdf's to Dropbox. They are at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y61dsnzhqpw77uz/sbvh.pdf and
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4e4q4sqk99popuy/msbvh.pdf.

The important thing about doing it this way is that I would have to
rewrite Cycles' entire BVH code. Brecht, Stuart, Ton, I would love
your thoughts. The advantages I see are the less intersection tests
and less traversal, as well as having a way to extend it for motion
blur fairly easily. The disadvantage is that I would have to rewrite
the BVH building AND traversal code for Cycles.

This is just an idea, by the way. I don't really expect that this is
what devs want. If it's not, I will find another way.

God Bless,
Gavin Howard