[Bf-cycles] Realistic Nk-Data Metal BSDF

Lukas Stockner lukas.stockner at freenet.de
Thu Dec 26 17:45:45 CET 2013

Wow, adding a node was really difficult, but I got it working. Attached is a
patch that adds a "Conductive BSDF" which just calculates reflectance based on
the Fresnel equation for conductors.

Its inputs are Eta and K, the coefficients of the complex IOR, and Roughness. It
supports Sharp, Beckmann and GGX microfacets. Performance and sampling look
just as good as the Glossy BSDF. I haven't tried the OSL version yet since I
can't get it to build, but the shader itself works in standard 2.69.7 in the
script node. GPU should work, but not tested since my GPU still is Compute
Capability 1.3.

Two questions remain: First, how should the ETa and K values be input?
Currently, since thay are RGB, they just show up as a color. However, their
compontents can easily reach 5 and higher. 6 Sliders, on the other hand, ane
probably overkill. Second, should there be a set of preset coefficients to
choose from (like in the LuxRender plugin), or just a list somewhere in the
Wiki?

I have rendered a simple demo, the image is on
http://postimg.org/image/70vyf00yp/ . From left to right, the materials are:
Silver, Gold, Chrome, Copper and Aluminium. The coefficients are simply from
multiplication of the PBRT measurements with the CIE XYZ curves and a
transform to sRGB. If someone is interested, I could post an Octave script for
it.

Lukas Stockner