[Bf-cycles] GSoC - Spectral Rendering

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Apr 10 14:48:59 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM, David <erwin94 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Ah, you're right, and it is even sort of explained in the text I linked to, so I
> feel especially dumb. ;)  The width of the distribution corresponds roughly to
> saturation, it's basically just HSV.
> So, the only effect that I can think of that is really not approximated by RGB
> rendering is dispersion? I would love to see an image where the light spectrum
> makes a noticeable difference, that isn't of a prism or a diamond...

It's difficult to find a good comparison, surprising that people
haven't done this more. Here is one, compare figure 2 and 4. Note the
different colors of the spheres, and the colors of the walls. For me
this spectral rendering is mostly interesting because it makes the
interaction of colors more accurate.
http://www.jaloxa.eu/mirrors/radiance_workshops/2002/Ward/PicturePerfect.pdf

Dispersion is nice but I wouldn't it consider it very important for
Cycles, however once the spectral code is there it's easy to implement
so might as well do it then. Also, it's possible to implement
dispersions even in a non-spectral renderer, just converting to RGB in
the BSDF.