[Bf-cycles] osl node

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 21:36:28 CEST 2012

Hi Brecht,
I updated the todo list and git pushed my latest changes here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Dfelinto/OSLNodeTodos

If you need one big patch with "lukas et al" changes you can get it here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3292898/Patches/12.10.21-cycles_osl.diff
(this is more for someone else willing to try it, I know you can get
it from git directly)

Small note: I can't get the osl node to compile when running from
xcode. It works in Jen's computer, so dunno. So for the time being I'm
compiling with cmake+make. The error I get is
http://www.pasteall.org/36460

Also, there are different fronts of work. On one end there is polishing to do:
* we need to improve the update system, and how the compile operator
is called (right now it can be called from both Text Editor and the
Node panel, so it's a bit of a mess) .. and we need to get a nice way
to update all scripts using the same text.
* a md5 or more robust way of checking if the file changed (something
that blender could have in a low level if I may say) (instead of the
timestamp).
* proper error messages/handling when recompile fails.
* . . .

Another is OSL patching:
* basically implement support for string stream i/o

If I find the time I will probably look at the OSL patch todos first.
So don't be shy in tearing up the current "blender" code apart. And I
will try to be online at night and morning in case you have questions
(pacific time), that should help.

Thanks,
Dalai