[Bf-cycles] Severe rendertimes

Andrew Price andrew at blenderguru.com
Wed Dec 5 13:36:48 CET 2012

Hey everyone,
I noticed some bizarre behaviour with Cycles, and I'm wondering if anyone
can explain what happened.

I started with this mostly empty scene: http://i.imgur.com/I0s7F.png which
rendered in 1min 30secs
But then I added one high poly couch: http://imgur.com/Fecm2 which
increased the render to 38mins.

Now the strange part is that it rendered slow even in areas of the image
without the couch (like the top left hand corner). The tiles that were
completely away from the couch were now extremely slow to render, even
though that area of the image was completely unaffected by the couch.

I understand that light needs to bounce around the room, but doesn't Cycles
have a bounce cutoff point or something?

I'm using a very recent build of r52731.

Thanks everyone!

--
Regards,
Andrew Price