[Bf-cycles] CUDA and OpenCL procedure for 2.63

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Thu Apr 5 14:35:19 CEST 2012

Hi David,
yes I already got some reports from people reporting issues.

That's why I want to build the kernels for non Kepler cards with the
proven to work 4.0 toolkit and only build the 3.0 kernel with the
toolkit 4.2. :)
4.2 toolkit is still an RC, and it probably has some issues still.

Regards,
Thomas

Am 05.04.2012 14:24, schrieb David Black:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I know your mail is meant for Brecht so hope you won't mind my little
> bit of information.
>
> While researching instancing I tried the "19 Billions of Polygons, not
> a ridiculous number anymore" compared your recent CUDA 4.2 test build
> designed for GTX 680, compared a recent build from GraphicAll.org
> containing CUDA 4.0.
>
> With the CUDA 4.2 build I get some graphical glitches compared to CUDA
> 4.0, please see attached cropped images, this might be because I am
> using a GTX 460 but thought best to let you know in case it's caused
> by CUDA 4.2.
>
> Thank you,
>
> David
> --
>
> 3d-designs-davidblack.blogspot.com
> <http://www.3d-designs-davidblack.blogspot.com>
>

> On 05/04/2012 11:04, Thomas Dinges wrote:
>> Hi Brecht,
>> for the upcoming 2.63 release I propose the following actions:
>>
>> CUDA:
>> The toolkit 4.2 is still in RC phase. Although I don't have any issues
>> or slowdown here (Geforce 540), I'd stick to 4.0 toolkit for now.
>>
>> So I propose to build the sm_13, sm_20 and sm_21 kernels with toolkit 4.0
>> and the sm_30 with the toolkit 4.2 for the Kepler gpus.
>>
>> I am not sure if the kernels are different for Linux or Windows, if they
>> aren't I can build the Kepler kernels, upload, so release builders can
>> manually copy the sm_30 kernel into addons/cycles/lib.
>> Otherwise I will create the sm_30 kernels for windows only and upload
>> for jesterKing.
>>
>> OpenCL:
>> As it has been confirmed by several people in the forums, I think it's
>> ok to enable _KERNEL_SHADING_ for OpenCL on AMD cards.
>> There are some reports about not working textures, so we could enable it
>> without textures support for now.
>>
>> But I think it's good to have this tested by a wider audience, rather
>> than asking people to modify on their own builds.
>> Should be pretty save, OpenCL is marked as Experimental feature in
>> Cycles anyways.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas

Thomas Dinges