[Bf-cycles] What nodes should we have?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Dec 6 14:06:42 CET 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:39 AM, ertuqueque <ertuqueque at gmail.com> wrote:
> RGB Curves
> Gamma
> Alpha Over
> Map Values

Ok.

> Normalize
> Tonemap

These don't make sense on a single color instead of an image.

> Directional Blur
> Bilateral Blur
> Dilate/Erode

Blur in shader nodes is problematic, other render engines typically
don't have this as far as I know, and for a good reason. It would be
very slow and give artifacts on non-trivial geometry. It also would
not help create blurry reflections, we can't blur with colors from
neighboring pixels.

What should become possible in the future is to do more blurry texture
evaluation (primarily to reduce aliasing, but could also be abused),
it would still be artifact prone though.

> Separate / Combine YUVA
> Separate / Combine YCbCrA

These are typical video compression color spaces, are they useful for
shader nodes?