[Bf-compositor] Extending some node functions to VSE

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri May 23 18:21:23 CEST 2014

Hi all,

Sequencer is currently not in active development, we try to bring that back in control, which might take many months or more even.

However: Compositor and Sequencer should be kept as seperated functional parts in Blender, it helps design focus and it mimics how workflow for animation/vfx film works in general.

(You can find long debates on this in many places, I suggest everyone here to inspect that as well and not do this all over again.)

In short:

- Compositor is a real-time editor for frames, to make a shot.
- VSE is meant to be a real-time editor for shots, to edit/grade a (short) film or sequence.

The compositor unit is a frame, the VSE unit is a shot.

Design focus helps to remind everyone what always should work, and it defines what kind of work should be done to improve it. These editors should work together well, and there can be overlap in parts even. But we keep them separated well.

Whether or not sequencer should get blur or nodes is quite irrelevant now, and will come back later when VSE is back in active support.

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute