[Bf-compositor] [Functionality] Make all node relative

David Fenner d4vidfenner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 14:29:04 CET 2014

Just an idea... As I saw you were talking about ways to translate/scale
nodes in the compositor in a more intuitive manner, I have always thought
that we could link the compositor with a 3d scene that is tweaked
specifically for compositing. I know this sound crazy in the beggining, but
just as nuke and other compositors include a 3d scene, why not use blender
internal with minimal settings to compose? it renders quite fast with no
extra stuff, it would be a little nuke. Basically what I am proposing is
simply that a viewer node is parented to a default camera in the 3d view,
and then the nodes that we choose (by toggling a 3d button) get "freed"
from the viewer node and can be moved around in the 3d view, and then
rendered back to the compositor. Of course these "freed" nodes could also
be freed from being parented to the camera, so you could compose in a 3d
space but with planes... you could also cast some shadows, do some
distortion, apply modifiers, whatever you want... Of course, even if in the
3d view a node was closer to the camera than another one, I think that what
should mandate is if the node is further down the node tree, instead of
closer to the camera, but I'm not sure about this.
Ok, I know that this sounds a little too much and not very precise, but in
general terms it is simply using the 3d space for compositing, like nuke
does. We have already a 3d space!! why make the compositor so limited? It
could be a dream compositor, the possibilities are endless.
Think about it... as it is today if you want to put a matte painting you
basically need to make a 3d render pass, scene or layer and render it out
with the camera, but the process isn't interactive and you can't see the
other layers on top and play with it, so it misses it's
creative/experimental potential. It's also a pain if you want to animate
this matte paintings, or foreground layers like smoke or whatever... having
to render out isolated passes simply isn't intuitive or compositor
friendly.

Ok sorry for the long text... just ideas, I just hope the 3d view get's
used for the compositor, it's a logical step, and would be amazing for
motion graphics and layered style animations... and easier to animate than
what it is now...

2014-01-31 Lukas Tönne <lukas.toenne at gmail.com>