[Bf-compositor] [Functionality] Make all node relative

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 13:28:04 CET 2014

>From my point of view there are at least 2 separate (although related)
issues:

1) Use relative sizes by default. This requires defining an abstract
"canvas space" to which all nodes relate. The render output would usually
span across the 0..1 width range and its aspect ratio defines the visible
canvas (optionally render output could be set to "portrait mode" to use
height instead).
In some cases you may actually want to use pixels (like the pseudo-aliasing
mentioned by Greg), but even for blurring etc. a relative size is a better
default to ensure the result is largely independent from final resolution.

2) Associate offset/size/rotation with things like image input nodes, to
avoid having to always add translate/scale (usability feature). By default
an image rect can be the full canvas width (this also ensures backward
compatibility).
These transforms can be made accessible intuitively with boxes and handles
in the compositor backdrop perhaps. We just have to be careful not to add
too much noise in the node editor. With such widgets and drawing elements
it would do two very different things, which may necessitate some kind of
edit mode (nodes mode vs. compo canvas mode).

Internally the compositor could still use pixels on the lowest level
(operations), but it should have a general mechanism to convert from canvas
space into final pixel space reliably. Currently nodes like Translate still
access the RenderData from context to convert relative values into pixels,
we'd need a few functions to make this a common procedure and independent
from render settings (see 1)