[Bf-compositor] [Functionality] Make all node relative

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Thu Jan 30 23:13:04 CET 2014

Hi all,

We see that the users are discussing the technical solutions :). First
of all we should be very clear about what you want.

The nodes that currently have the biggest (relative-resolution) issues
are the buffered operations (glare, filter). They assume that the
current pixel size is the actual pixel size, but that is not the case.
Other popular compositors work on a 'project' resolution, and let the
user downscale via a setting or dynamically too speed up the process.
Biggest difference is that Blender is an integrated product.

 From developer perspective we would better see other projects first like:
  - make a decision on backdrop vs image viewer, usage of the viewer
node, render node, as this could really have big impact on everything we
do, especially when we know we want to have 'canvas-compositing' in the
future. this is a project you users could really help with discussing;
and we can help in structuring the discussion.

So the question would be:
1. how does (from an artist point of view) the ideal compositor look
like that fits in Blender [artists in lead, developer as consult]. This
is also the reason why this list was set up.
2. using this as input we (the developers) can break-down it into
projects and make a logical order of these projects. [developer in lead,
artists as consult]
3. per project we can go into details [artists as in lead for the what,
developer on lead for the how]

We are currently working on memory usage and performance, but have
nothing to show yet. See the above as an invitation to discuss the
future of the compositor. The next few weeks we won't be able to join
the discussion (holiday), but after that it would be nice if there are
some big topics we can discuss.

Jeroen & Monique
  - At Mind -