[Bf-compositor] New Corner Pin node

Francesco Paglia f.paglia.80 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 18:21:20 CET 2014

Thanks Lukas for your explanation,
In fact I was wondering how was designed the side panel.
the solution with button in my opinion add an extra complexity that could
be skipped (if possible).
As it looks now every tweak requires you to select the proper corner then
carefully move on the property without exiting the panel otherwise you have
to reclick on the cornerbutton then you can modify the values...

About the plane output I still don't understand the effective use of the
plane output or better I just think it should be omitted as an output and
just pre-calculated in the node...
Lets make an example:
I have an RGBA image as input then the process I do is "warp all the
channel of the image" then I apply an "inside the plane" operand that uses
the plane as limiter of the RGBA channel resulting in a "transparent" area
of the processed frame...

Of course I'm shure you added the plane output socket for some reason and
evaluation you did while designing the node, but I really don't see a
reason to add it if it's notthing else than a possible technical limitation
you can't solve in any other way :)

Can't wait to have you working on the biggest issue (sampling and Canvas)
I'm sure once those problem will be addressed everything will turn in a
better way!
Cheers!
Francesco

> @Francesco:
>
> The "Plane" output is a black/white mask, just like in the PlaneTrack
> node. It is essentially an alpha map (1 on the plane, 0 outside). You can
> see i'm using it as a mix factor in the screenshot (otherwise image would
> be alpha=0 outside the plane instead of pink).
>
> I'm not that familiar with the tracking data types, afaik there is a
> "Track Position" node which you could use as input for the corners. The
> Plane Track node also does basically the same, but directly takes plane
> corners from the tracking data (i think these are 2 different types of data
> in the movie clip editor).
>
> As noted in the task description, one major issue with the compositor is
> the lack of constants. Once we implement those properly (and it is
> definitely needed) we can much more easily output single values, e.g. for
> exposing the plane track corners alongside the warped image and mask.
>
> Canvas compositing will also go a long way in making this node more easily
> accessible, but first we need to look into resolution handling and sampling
> issues in the compositor internals.
>
> There is not much to see about the node properties (i guess that's what
> you are interested in), only buttons are the input values, which are
> vectors (3D, z component is ignored):
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/67139
>

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Francesco Paglia <f.paglia.80 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Lukas,
>> nice addition, thanks!
>> Just few questions:
>> 1. I see the outputs of the node are image and Plane, what plane is
>> intended for? Does it output the alpha datas?
>> 2. Can we use traking data as inputs or how can we manage the animation
>> of the corners?
>> 3. would be great if you can make a print screen with the corner pin node
>> selected.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Francesco

>>>  Just a quick note: On request by some of our L.A. based users i've
>>> implemented a "Corner Pin" node:
>>>
>>> https://developer.blender.org/D333
>>>
>>> Should be in trunk shortly after the release.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Lukas

Francesco Paglia
Vfx and Production Supervisor