[Bf-committers] Bump MacOS minimum requirements to 10.15 for Blender 3.5

Jeroen Bakker jeroen at blender.org
Thu Jan 5 16:09:42 CET 2023

Hello all,

A few weeks ago we enabled the Metal back-end for the viewport. By default
Blender will start using OpenGL, but in the User preferences the Metal
backend can be enabled. The first responses and test are very positive and
currently it is very likely that Metal will be released as a secondary
backend in Blender 3.5.

Currently Master is only able to build on MacOS 10.15 and above due this
change. The current minimum requirement is MacOS 10.13.

So there are some options to consider here.
* Do we release blender 3.5 with Metal Backend?
* Do we bump the minimum version from 10.13 to 10.15 for Blender 3.5?
* Add logic in many places to make sure that 10.15 code-paths aren't used
when run in 10.13?

Sergey mentioned that there are already ideas to bump the version to 10.15
for Blender 3.6. So this proposal is to do this one release earlier.

My proposal would be to do the version bump for Blender 3.5 due to these
reasons.
Would like to have some feedback if this is acceptable.

Jeroen.