[Bf-committers] move prebuilt libs from svn to git?

Chad Fraleigh chadf at triularity.org
Fri Jun 17 22:19:23 CEST 2022

On 6/16/2022 11:51 PM, Ankit via Bf-committers wrote:
> Tom:
> 1. Unlike SVN checkout, git checkout cannot be resumed. It starts
>   over if interrupted.
> 2. .git folder's size will blow up with every release. Git is not
>   so good for binary files.

Yes, plain vanilla git would be bad with them.

If I understand LFS correctly, it only holds object references. So even if the pull can't be restarted, it would only have the [small] references to download. The actual downloading of the [large] binary files is moved to the checkout phase (which doesn't appear to be an all-or-nothing step). But I could be wrong.

> Chad:
>
> https://developer.blender.org/T73511
> https://developer.blender.org/T73394

These are from about 2 years ago. So if there were still any blocking issues back then, support for LFS should have grown since (at least enough to re-evaluate the feasibility of migration).