[Bf-committers] move prebuilt libs from svn to git?

Dan McGrath danmcgrath.ca at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 14:20:01 CEST 2022

Hi Tom,

Long time no see :)

I did some tests from home and found that, aside from slow speeds, I was
able to checkout at least 5 or 6 gig of the bf-blender repo without error
or having to retransmit.

I took the liberty of packet capturing the stream from my PC's POV, and
placed them in the ftp download area[1], if you care to take a look.

The gist is that I was able to get around 5MB/sec for at least 5G of the
checkout, before I cancelled it.

Now, my IP is a bit of a special case, so I am wondering if you are just
hitting the server so hard with http requests in separate sockets, or
something extreme, that is causing the system to block you for a period of
time. For comparison, my PC only had about 4 sockets open to the server for
the transfer. I would be curious to know if you are doing pipelining, or
sending each request in a separate connection.

If you can, the next time it happens, see if you are unable to visit
Phabricator or resume the svn checkout process. It may not be a firewall
issue, but without seeing some packet captures, I wouldn't be able to
really guess. Ideally, try to capture a few packets, until failure. At the
very least, you will need to snap 20b+20b=40b for IP+TCP headers, but I
would suggest a tad higher, maybe 64b.

Cheers,

Dan

[1] - https://download.blender.org/ftp/dan/svn-checkout/