[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:41:32 CET 2022

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 11:12 PM Bastien Montagne via Bf-committers
<bf-committers at blender.org> wrote:

> Hi Sergey and all, and thanks for this proposition.
>
> This proposal makes complete sense to me. I do not see any benefit for
> Blender to stick to a strict compatibility with VFX platform, but indeed
> ensuring a file-level compatibility seems a good minimum guaranty.
>
> I have one question though, should we still guarantee that we keep
> Blender working with the VFX platform versions of the libraries, or not?
> E.g. do we keep Blender working with python 3.9, even if we switch our
> own builds to 3.11? Think the answer to this question should also be
> clearly stated.
>
> And if we do keep this compatibility level, how do we ensure it? Add new
> buildbot instances with VFX-versioned dependencies? Just 'do our best'
> and fix issues when reported?

For other libraries, I don't have a strong opinion, for Python though
- keeping *official* support for multiple versions adds too much
overhead.
Even for tracker triage, switching Python versions to match the user
who's reporting takes extra time.
And as you mention - integrating this into the build-bot etc would be
needed too (ideally at least)

We could consider *unofficial* support by not breaking builds for
older Python versions for a period of time,
meaning that users who have a requirement for an older version can
still build Blender themselves.
Although I'm not sure this is an important use case, just noting that
I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

> Cheers,
> Bastien

- Campbell