[Bf-committers] Proposal for clarified VFX Reference Platform Support

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 17 13:11:14 CET 2022

Hi Sergey and all, and thanks for this proposition.

This proposal makes complete sense to me. I do not see any benefit for
Blender to stick to a strict compatibility with VFX platform, but indeed
ensuring a file-level compatibility seems a good minimum guaranty.

I have one question though, should we still guarantee that we keep
Blender working with the VFX platform versions of the libraries, or not?
E.g. do we keep Blender working with python 3.9, even if we switch our
own builds to 3.11? Think the answer to this question should also be
clearly stated.

And if we do keep this compatibility level, how do we ensure it? Add new
buildbot instances with VFX-versioned dependencies? Just 'do our best'
and fix issues when reported?

Cheers,
Bastien