[Bf-committers] Add-ons in Blender 3

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Nov 22 13:08:38 CET 2021

Hi Thomas,

Communication on this is not clear now. It is not about 'commercial'.
The issue is that:

- We want to implement fair and uniform rules for all default add-ons in
Blender releases.

- Base line is that each add-on that gets bundled, is meant to function
at the same quality level as other Blender features. What we require
from C/C++ we also require from scripts.

This implies that:

- Blender does not include add-ons in a release that require internet to
work, unless it connects to blender.org based on explicit user
permission. For such (new) add-ons we will start a new module on
blender.org.

- Blender does not include add-ons in a release that require to install
additional modules.

- Blender does not include add-ons in a release that create a bridge to
non-free (non GPL compliant) software.

If people know better ways to word it, be my guest :)

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal - ton at blender.org - www.blender.org
Chairman Blender Foundation, CEO Blender Institute / Studio
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands