[Bf-committers] Booleans "fast mode" - Implementation

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 23:52:40 CET 2021

Hi, the fast method wasn't based on existing papers.
It works using triangle-triangle intersection between two BVH trees,
those intersections are used to perform cut the geometry with
additional functionality to handle holes in faces.
Ray-casting is then used to determine what is inside/outside.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 2:39 AM Ahmed Hesham via Bf-committers
<bf-committers at blender.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am going through the code that does the Booleans mesh intersection. I understand that the new “exact mode” is using the method outlined in the paper “Mesh Arrangements for Solid Geometry”, by Zhou, Grinspun, Zorin, Jacobson – Siggraph 2016, as documented here: https://developer.blender.org/T67744
>
> However, I was wondering about the older “fast mode”. Is the implementation used outlined by any further research papers or documentation, or should I just step through the code?
>
> Appreciate any pointers.
>
> Thanks,
> Ahmed

- Campbell