[Bf-committers] It's time to get rid of cloth

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Oct 20 11:51:50 CEST 2020

Hi Joe,

This is a bit harsh, there have been good cloth contributions to Blender
by Luca Rood. The current module owner for it is Sebastian Parborg though.

I'd suggest to connect with them to see what steps forward could be.

We are also in the process of making a good node physics system to allow
solvers like this in a more generic setting. Design for this is ongoing.

It's super cool to see you want to come back, just give it a bit of time
to figure out who's doing what now.

Als note that we (including Blender Foundation / Institute) are in the
process of organizing ourselves much better, including onboarding, best
practices, engineering standards amd strict requirements for a good
design process - including the docs.

We lack in a lot of areas, and the consensus is to especially put
efforts in bringing the current state of the code in control (functional
and technical specs), before recoding modules entirely.

-Ton-
Ton Roosendaal - ton at blender.org - www.blender.org
Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Buikslotermeerplein 161, 1025 ET Amsterdam, the Netherlands