[Bf-committers] Policies about patches modifying third-parties libraries.

Ray Molenkamp ray at lazydodo.com
Tue Aug 25 22:32:59 CEST 2020

While i agree with "you should be able to build blender even with stock/system libraries"

I however do not think that the bar for "oh we'll just add it to /extern" should be as low as it appears to be. I'd be very much in favor of *NOT* adding a behemoth like USD to `/extern` (~75 megs, twice the size `/extern` currently, more than all the code in `/source` combined!) and ballooning an already high blender build time just to support a single IO format.

Surely this can be worked out with upstream USD?

--Ray