[Bf-committers] Policies about patches modifying third-parties libraries.

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 25 21:05:03 CEST 2020

Hi,

Under build_files/build_environment/patches we have a bunch of small
patches for the libraries we build using make deps. Most of them are
about fixing builds for some platform or architecture, which is a bit
annoying but acceptable imho.

However, today I discovered that Blender cannot be built with vanilla
USD library, at all. The patch used on this library adds some new
function to its API, which (hack over hack) is not even declared in its
headers, but in Blender code itself.

I would very much like to propose to strictly forbid such dirty
practices, which violate completely the very idea of libraries,
especially on OSs like linux, where distributions try very hard to only
use dynamically linked shared libraries.

Any library that would need that kind of modifications should be put in
extern/, and explicitly built as part of Blender itself. Or at the very
least, we should explicitly maintain our own 'fork' of it, with requests
to the main repo/maintainers to integrate our changes or otherwise
propose a solution to the problem.

But I do hope there are ways to avoid such ugly changes anyway?

Cheers,
Bastien