[Bf-committers] Blender 2.8x - support and core development goals

dr. Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Fri Jul 26 17:38:13 CEST 2019

On 26-07-19 08:00, Dalai Felinto wrote:
> Which areas would you like to focus on in the next few months? Which
> code improvements, performance, stability, new features in those areas
> would you work on first [1]?

The USD branch I'm working on now is getting a lot of attention, not
only from private individuals but also from companies like AMD, Apple,
Digital Negative, and RodeoFX. I think it might be possible to merge my
branch to master for 2.81. Even though the initial goal was to have
something working before SIGGRAPH (hack or no hack, just get it
working), I'm quite happy with the result. The basis for the exporter is
an output format agnostic class that can iterate over the depsgraph and
call upon other classes to perform the actual serialisation into USD.
I'd like to convert the Alembic exporter to use the same approach, which
I think will help resolve some bugs currently in the tracker as well as
provide cleaner code.

For 2.81 I also have some fixes for Alembic-related and FFmpeg-related
bugs & features that can probably go in as soon as master is open again.

I've just emailed a proposal to the animators at the Blender Animation
Studio to work through the list of animation topics. This will serve as
a kickoff for filling out the animation module design task
<https://developer.blender.org/T63901>.

One of the often-requested features for the Alembic importer, but also
for various other mesh-generating code (think MantaFlow, flip fluids,
fracture modifier, etc.), is to be able to import/generate motion
vectors. Currently our fluid simulation explicitly exposes the vertex
velocities, but there is no custom data layer in Mesh to store this
information in a generic way. I wouldn't mind working on this as well,
as the subject is bound to come up for USD as well.

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

https://stuvelfoto.nl/
https://stuvel.eu/