[Bf-committers] Snap and precision modelling meeting notes - 19.07.05

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 15:15:04 CEST 2019

Hi,

We had a meeting today about the snap and precision modelling project
Germano Cavalcante (mano-wii) will be in charge of for the following 3
months.

Participants: Campbell Barton, Dalai Felinto and Germano Cavalcante.
Over time we will open this discussion further.

Relevant links:
* https://developer.blender.org/T66337
* https://devtalk.blender.org/t/discussions-for-better-snapping-and-precision-modeling-to-come/5351/36

The main focus in this project is UX (usability), so it's important to
have an agreed on design before coding starts. Not included in the
discussion here are other precision modelling tools such as UCS
(universal coordination system).

High level targets for the snapping project:
* Base point for snapping transformations.
* Integrate with more tools (e.g., knife, edge slide).
* Integrate with tool-less transformations (G/S/R).
* More snapping options (e.g., 3d cursor, perpendicular, mid-edge).

We need a system that works both for tools and non-tools.
The main disputing point is in regard to the base point for snapping
transformation:

* When snapping is on, tool will always have base snap point working.
* Tool-less transformation need either an auto-base pointer (what we
now call target in Blender) or a way to set it explicitly.
* Transformation gizmos also need to fit within this system.

Germano will come up with a more clear proposal of how the base point
would work for tools and non-tools alike.

I (Dalai) will write my own proposal separately, to not mix with the
meeting notes. Let me know if you don't agree with anything mentioned
above.

Cheers,
Dalai