[Bf-committers] Blender 2.8x - support and core development goals

William Reynish billrey at me.com
Sat Aug 3 09:53:40 CEST 2019

On the UI front, here are my thoughts and priorities:

First, I feel like we have some things that are unfinished, which should be high priority to get done ASAP:

Mainly things like:

  - Dragging on a selected item should move all selected items (https://developer.blender.org/T57918)
	Currently we only support the Node Editor for this. Being able to drag your selected elements around is such a basic thing which we left unfinished, that I think we should try and do this asap

  - Tools & gizmos
	‘Simple’ gizmos for more tools (https://developer.blender.org/T66304)
	Interactive Create Object tools (Pablo Dobarro started on this. https://developer.blender.org/T57210)
	Inside-the-camera gizmo (https://developer.blender.org/T57234)

  - Themes
	We never included additional themes for 2.80. Not super important but we promised to do it. I will assist picking them and testing them again.

Additionally, I expect we will do some of these UI-related merges:
  - Outliner GSOC (https://developer.blender.org/D5388)
  - File Browser UI (https://developer.blender.org/T62971)
  - Text Editor UI (https://developer.blender.org/D5028)

Also many other patches related to the Sequencer UI etc.

I also expect to assist with UI layout and feedback for things like LANPR and other new features.

Other things I really hope we could do for this release:
  - Multi-Object Properties Editing (https://developer.blender.org/D4948)
  - Checkbox Aligmnet tweaks (https://developer.blender.org/T65965)
  - Toolbar for the Sequencer (patch already done by Campbell)
  - Toolbar for the Clip Editor (https://developer.blender.org/T57846)
  - Convert NLA sidebar to Python, so we can start to make this 2.8-compliant.

Bigger design-tasks & projects:

  - Asset Browser (https://developer.blender.org/T54642)
	Since this will be a key core part of Blender’s UI and workflow, we should really get started with this, so this project doesn’t keep slipping forever. At the very least we should have a plan for how to proceed
  - Everything Nodes. I expect to continue working on the Everything Nodes design task, with input mainly from Brecht and Jacques Lucke, and others (https://developer.blender.org/T67088)
  - Drag & drop support for UI elements (https://developer.blender.org/T67893)