[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - 2018-09-24
Brecht Van Lommel
brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 18:44:43 CEST 2018
Here are the notes from today's developer meeting. Next meeting is Monday,
1 October 18:00 CEST (16:00 UTC).
1) Blender 2.8
* Templates were added, available from file > new and the splash screen. A
new Sculpting template and some updates to the existing templates will
* The splash screen now has a quick setup panel when using Blender for the
first time. For now the only setting is the keymap.
* Driver evaluation of simple expressions is now done without Python. This
was a bottleneck on heavy rigs and multicore systems. Spring rigs playback
up to 40% faster.
* The 3D viewport now has a dedicated wireframe mode, X-Ray is now less
confusing, and Z key opens a shading pie menu.
* Eevee gained support for the wireframe shading node.
* Texture paint mode workflow for setting up image textures has been
improved, now base color, specular, roughness, .. texture can be added
easily from the slots panel.
* The Python GPU module for drawing got various updates.
* The mesh Spin tool gizmo has been redesigned.
* Curve radius can now be animated with shape keys.
* 1D infinite line force fields were added.
* Select similar operators now work with multi-object editing.
* The 3D viewport Add menu now has an entry to add an image empty directly
from a file.
* Jacques: https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:JacquesLucke/Reports/2018
2) Other Projects
* Benoit visited the Blender Insitute last week to talk about interactive
mode design. The plan is to first implement an interactive "physics
sandbox" mode, where physics keeps running while you interact with objects
the viewport. The second step then is implementing a logic nodes system.
Benoit and Jacques will work on the design.
More information about the Bf-committers