[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - 2018-10-01

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 19:06:11 CEST 2018

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's developer meeting. Next meeting is Monday,
8 October 10:00 CEST (8:00 UTC).

1) Developers

* Philipp Oeser (lichtwerk) is back to manage the bug tracker, which we're
very happy about!
* Sergey is on holidays for 3 weeks.

2) Blender 2.8

* Cloth collision was rewritten to improve performance, stability, and
reliability.
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Reference/Release_Notes/2.80/More_Features#Cloth
https://twitter.com/LucaRood/status/1044979412683436032
* Grease Pencil gained new parameters for the instance modifier and a new
shadow effect:
https://youtu.be/s_LrHKrhGtU
https://youtu.be/41rojcWBu1Q
* The shrinkwrap modifier gained features to control which vertices get
projected and how.
https://developer.blender.org/D3717
https://developer.blender.org/D3737
* The 3D viewport got improvements for weight paint drawing, wireframe
toggling, edit curve/surface drawing.
* Pie menus are now used for snap, pivot and proportional editing.
* Addons can now register tabs and panels in the sidebar in the 3D
viewport, instead of the toolbar which is now for tools only.
* A new Python API for material I/O based on shader nodes was added. This
is now used by the OBJ addon.
* Multi-object editing for mesh and UVs is now basically complete.
* The movie clip editor UI was updated to follow the new UI layout
conventions.
* Templates have been updated, mainly there is a new Sculpting template.
* The new icon set designed by Andrzej Ambroz is almost ready to replacing
the existing icons, mainly needs code support for color theming still.

Weekly Reports:
* Bastien: https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Mont29/Foundation/2018
* Brecht:
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Brecht/Reports/2018#September_24_-_28