[Bf-committers] Netrender?

Alexander Kampmann alexander.kampmann at gmx.de
Sat Oct 6 17:52:46 CEST 2018

hi,

I spend the last couple of days setting up a netrender master in the
google cloud. This was more challenging than I thought it would. There
were two main problems:

(1) A bug in the code, fixed by myself:
https://developer.blender.org/rBAf975292b1ec103826fe244dfdb851fed0428b624

(2) There doesn't seem to be any way for master, slave and clients to
authenticate each other. If those services are connected to the
internet, this means anyone could use my render server. I patched the
code to use SSL client authentication (I guess you could also use
something external, e.g. VPN, but that would require more setup).

Now I can render small files. But for larger scenes, I get either a
timeout on submitting the job, or "File upload but checksum mismatch,
this shouldn't happen" on one of the job files. This means my netrender
master is not usable.

So, basically I have three questions:

(1) Is netrender being used successfully by someone? If so, I am
probably doing something wrong.

(2) Would you like to merge my ssl client authentification code? If
there is a better way of securing master and slave, it might be better
to avoid feature creep.

(3) Assuming that it actually is that the code is broken, does it make
sense to fix it or is there a better alternative to distributed rendering?

Best,

Alex