[Bf-committers] GSoC 2018: Layer Painting Proposal

Ricardo Nunes 3rton93 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 20:50:50 CET 2018

Looks like a great proposal to me. I'm sure I wouldn't be only person to
appreciate layers for texture painting. I guess you could say paragraph or
two about what you did for those major school projects?

You mention you will use Substance Painter as reference, sounds cool. I
would also recommend taking a look at Krita (foss photoshop like
application) and Bpainter (Paid Blender add-on by Andreas Esau) (I'd say
both are relevant for texture painting in conjunction with Blender atm)
Especially for Bpainter since it is licensed in Blender Market under GPL
any of the code should be legally okay to use if there is something that
would easily translate for use. Even if you don't really use anything
directly it could give useful reference on how someone else has approached
something similar in the framework that is Blender. (Although, the price
might be bit steep just for reference and I don't know is there some kind
of code of conduct one should follow here)
(https://www.blendermarket.com/products/bpainter)

Other than that I guess you'll want beta testers if you do get accepted:
@Lowpolycurls (Twitter, very talented handpaiting Blender artist)
XRG81 (Youtube, had nice tutorials on handpainting in Blender)
@Wayward_Art_Co (Twitter, made good tutorial series on lowpoly modeling and
handpainting in Blender)
@ndee85 (Twitter, The creator of Bpainter. Probably would be able to help a
lot but no clue how happy they'd be to help)
All of these could probably give great feedback and ideas if they have the
time.

Well good luck! Looking forward to layers (fingers crossed)