[Bf-committers] [GSoC 2018]Idea -- Fast Import / Export for selected formats

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 04:48:44 CET 2018

Supporting C/C++ in an add-on means there is technically nothing
stopping someone from bundling an entire library.

While it's possible this makes sense in some cases, it introduces
issues with having to properly integrate a library into Blender
(workaround constraints in the API, even bugs).
Notice the add-on linked misses support for things currently working
in our add-on.
While it could be fixed, that add-on is basically moving from Python
to C which is quite a different project.

For the GSOC I rather we keep a Python reference implementation with a
C fast-path which is typically useful for parsing arrays of geometry.

PLY and STL are simple enough formats that I'm skeptical of the value
of using 3rd party libraries.

--
- Campbell