[Bf-committers] Blender modeling and viewport perfomance in blender 2.8

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 12:19:23 CET 2018

Hi,

It usually helps to mention your hardware configuration and OS when talking
about performance.
Giving exact .blend file (or telling which of the existing demo files you
use) also helps understanding what's exactly going on.

General answer is: we did not focus on fine-tuning performance yet, but
rather were putting bigger foundations. For ultimate performance we are
just starting to benchmack bottlenecks and address them.

As for the quado: you're comparing Maxwell M5000 card with Pascal GTX1060.
The latter one is newer generation GPU. Also, quadros are running on lower
clockrates and using lower memory frequencies. This (together with ECC
memory and double-precision floating support) makes them reliable. Quadros
in general are slower than corresponding GTXes.

That being said, Blender should for sure be usable on all GPUs.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Alberto Velázquez <alberto3d.1984 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to ask about Blender perfomance in the future Blender2.8, actually
> Blender have problems editing meshes with medium triangles (50k triangles)
> models that actually you can see in videogames without problems.
>
> It's a recurrent topic in Blender community, the problems with editing
> perfomance in Blender, the perfomance in big scenes and seeing models with
> a lot of triangles. The lack of proxies to reduce load (or use LOD for
> proxies), other users talk about problems when blender have a few
> characters,...
>
> The main points are:
>
> - Bad perfomance editing meshes with 50k triangles. When sculpting this
> meshes is not a big problem ¿Will we see improvements in this part? Other
> software can edit meshes with millions of triangles without problems ¿It's
> a problem of the lack of multrithreading CPU, GPU perfomance, bad
> implementation or an intrinsic blender problem?
>
> - Viewport perfomance in object mode with dense meshes or a lot of objects.
> I understand that workbench could address this problem making new view
> modes to sculpt and modeling, but until we have information about it ¿Will
> we see a optimized mode of view with minimal perfomance impact and
> improvements in this part?
>
> - ¿Could we see a proxy system to reduce load in big scenes? maybe a simple
> LOD option that allow to see only LODs in viewport instead of the full
> meshes.
>
> - Some users have problems with their graphic cards, e. g. M5000, a really
> expensive card, have worst perfomance that a GTX1060 ¿It's a specific
> problem of some cards or lack of support of some libraries?
>

> Warm Regards

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin