[Bf-committers] Updating release/buildbot environment to Glibc-2.24
sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:59:00 CEST 2018
We are moving official release environment and buildbot to newer platform,
which is based on Debian Stretch, with Glibc version 2.24. This is caused
by the following technical reasons:
- Platform we used before was based on Debian Jessie, which became
oldstable a year ago. While it is still receiving security updates, the
usual period for this is one year. So is quite likely that Jessie will be
moved to archive soon.
- There was a lot of libraries update, which always goes smoother in a
For the users this means:
- Only platforms newer than 2 years old are supported bu the newer Blender
builds. This surely includes Debian Stretch+, Ubuntu 17.10+, Fedora 26+.
- With some luck Ubuntu 16.04 and Slackware 14.2 will work, since currently
Blender (and its dependencies) do not use 2.24 symbols and only using 2.23.
- All the dependencies are updated to way newer versions, and now are same
across all platforms. This includes years of security updates for
dependencies like PNG, OpenJPEG and more.
For developers this means:
- The current build environment is based on minimal chroot (the script i've
used to generate it ). The rest is done by `make deps` in the blender's
root directory. This means, everyone can create his own static release
- Maybe Also makes it easier to wrap things up into docker images and such.
NOTE: While everything seems to work in the new environment, there is
always a room for bugs. If something is misbehaving with the new builds,
submit bug reports to the tracker as usual.
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin
More information about the Bf-committers