[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - 2018-04-23

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 18:35:16 CEST 2018

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's 17 UTC (18 CET) meeting in irc.freenode.net
#blendercoders. Reminder: meetings are on Mondays, next meeting is 30th
April 09 UTC (10 CET).

1) Blender 2.79

* No news, as stated before, re-visit in June after the code quest.

2) Blender 2.8 and Code Quest

* Videos planned for this week: Pablo Vazquez wants to record a new
videolog, one about workbench and maybe a third one. However due to King's
day we may stick to 2 videos and a blogpost about UI.

* Joshua Leung reports that today we had a meeting with greasepencil team
as a follow up on the grease pencil merge. We now have a plan we all agreed
on to get initial merge done. He expects about 2 weeks to get things done
with Antonio Vazquez followed by 1-2 weeks of review and tweaks.

* Sergey Sharybin plans to have the call to help in the dependency graph /
copy-on-write task force by Wednesday. The transform system proved to be
more tricky than expected.

* Campbell Barton merged initial multi-object editing in 2.8 followed by a
call for help. A few developers are already helping, to join the effort:
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2018-April/049337.html

* Dalai Felinto plans to have planning for code quest wrapped up this week.
Some essential design is still on the way (e.g., collections and
overrides). But once this is past all is left is planning and
implementation.

* We had a lekker Sunday day, where a few developers helped implementing
long-standing UI feature polishing features. They are by no means
priorities, but since they didn't take time away from core functionalities
it was nice to experiment with them.

3) Google Summer of Code

* We got 6 accepted students! Congratulations to them all. Check their
projects here:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/4824370443190272/#projects

* They will work on top of the blender_2.8 branch.

4) Code quest links:

* Weekly meeting notes - 2018-04-20:
 - https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2018-April/049349.html

* Tasks done last week:
 -
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/CodeQuest/WeeklyReports#Week_2_.2816.2F04_-_20.2F04.29

* Code quest workboard:
 - https://developer.blender.org/project/board/80/

* Videos:
 - Multi-Object Editing in Blender 2.8! - Code Quest
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o5k2iGrkTQ

 - First Modifier in Blender 2.8! - Code Quest
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ3fksWUrB0

 - LIVE Q&A - Blender 2.8 Code Quest
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hut-RvDCt2s

Regards,