[Bf-committers] Cycles: Image Texture Node, color output still gets alpha channel mixed

Porces porces at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 13:02:41 CET 2017

Hi all,

I've noticed in the Image Texture node, that when we have the 'use_alpha'
option turned on on the image datablock, the color output get's multiplied
by the alpha channel.
On the other hand, if the 'use_alpha' is off, then the alpha output returns
0.

This is somewhat a strange behaviour for the Image Texture node in Cycles,
and in my opinion we should only output the color channels through the
color output, and the alpha through the alpha output (no matter if
'use_alpha' is on or off, since we already separate the channels in the
node).

For example, if the alpha channel is used for storing any other
information, like roughness or AO, this messes up with the color output,
and we need to have two different datablocks with different settings for
dealing with the same texture

I wonder if there's some reason for this to work like this, or if we could
change it.