[Bf-committers] Automatic DPI detection issues

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 12:32:08 CEST 2017

Hi everyone,

Today i've run into annoying/hard to predict situation: running my regular
blender was working fine, but doing --factory-startup was messing up fonts
in Blender's interface.

it turns out, this commit is responsible for such behavior [1].

What happens is, when there is existing user-preferences.blend, Blender
will use DPI stored in there. Otherwise, Blender will use auto-detected
DPI. This has following issues:

- This is totally unpredictable, changes Blender interface based on some
rather random factors.
- Blender does not tell user what DPI it detected (yes, the commit removed
setting from User Preferences)
- If system reports buggy DPI, there is no easy way to know what's causing
it and how to correct.

So i think we should bring DPI setting back to user preferences. It is
really bad practice to secretly use setting, without even telling what the
value of the setting is. It is also bad practice to auto-detect something
and not give any clues to user what the detected value is. And finally,
there should be a way to override auto-detected DPI, for the exact case
when the reported one is bad.

[1] https://developer.blender.org/rBfe3fb23

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin