[Bf-committers] Bachelor Thesis in Parametrization of Meshes

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Mar 25 13:33:46 CET 2016

Hi Aurel,

The results looks great! You can mail me with questions, or better,
create a task or code review on developer.blender.org, and then we can
discuss things there and it's all logged publicly for anyone in
interested now or later.

Regarding where this code fits, there's a few possibilities:
* Write algorithm directly integrated in Blender mesh code, using the
BMesh data structure
* Create a new module in the intern/ directory, using own data
structures, code is maintained by Blender developers
* Add libraries in the extern/ directory, code is not maintained by
Blender developers but bundled with the source code
* Use an external library, code is not maintained by Blender developers

There's some trade-offs here. External libraries make building and
packaging Blender harder, and it requires the developers of that
library to maintain and support it on all our platforms.  For a single
mesh tool like this it would be best if the source code was bundled
with Blender I think, often such libraries tend to not to be
maintained for long and Blender developers have to start fixing things
themselves anyway. If it's only a couple thousand lines of code total,
rewriting it using Blender data structures may be best in the long
term. We'd need more details to decide on that.

Brecht.