[Bf-committers] GSoC: Morphing shaders

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:07:16 CET 2016

Hi,

There's technical issue, which is lack of tessellation shaders. They
probably might be hooked relatively easily via GPU extension, but you might
also be doomed to upgrading whole GLSL system to a newer spec.

There's also a workflow problem. Personally i don't consider Blender as a
framework or a game engine, it's mainly a 3D modelling and animation tool.
Which means tools should be aimed to artists. In case of GLSL shaders i
case see how viewport would benefit, but i don't see how you'll be able to
use those morphed objects in renders.

Thanks for your response. I would like to port my project to Blender, with
> Animation Nodes or whatever; but there is no much time to discusse, afraid
> so.

If you're applying for GSoC you kind of expected to know what and how
you're gonna to work.

> Working on this project gave me huge experience with all kind of shaders.
> So, do you know any shader-related issue to code on Blender?

Bringing it to a new OpenGL standards and implementing PBR in viewport are
the project.

> Because if it's not possible or doesn't make sense implement my project,
> probably I could help developing shaders or improving shader capabilities
> of Blender.
>
> I have less than a day to write my proposal and I need to know what's the
> best.

The best is to pick a project which you're really feel is your thing and
not pick a project because someone else told you.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin