[Bf-committers] Blender and CFD simulations,

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 10:17:23 CET 2016

Hi,

> -Blender use OpenFOAM as solver for CFD ?

No. Blender has CFD solvers for liquids (intern/elbeem) and smoke/fire
(intern/smoke), both of which are quite outdated at this point.

> -how I can implement a new fields of CFD simulations using Python?

You could try a decoupled approach by using a library with a python
API, and export/import mesh data from/to Blender via the bpy module.
However, a more integrated approach via a C interface would be
preferred for future Blender development.

> -exist some documentations about how to enter in Blender , for an existing
> module (in my case CFD), a new capabilities of simulations (new algorithms
> ) with respect the already existing one?

Not really, it depends largely on what simulation you want to work on.
There is no real framework for physics sims in Blender (not in the
same way as there is for mesh editing), and physics code hasn't been
touched for a long time.

Work on CFD in Blender is very much needed and appreciated, but it's
not a simple task.