[Bf-committers] Deadly bugs (proposal for 2.8)

Diego Gangl dnicolas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:44:40 CET 2016

Hi everyone,

There are a few bugs in Blender which can cause data loss, permanent, with
no hope of recovering it (unless the user had saved). And all of these
happen under normal conditions and usage.

I think it's important to deal with them before 2.8, since it's going
to be a big release and bring lots of new users. And while we are
trained to avoid (or accept) these, new users will get burnt badly and
maybe even drop Blender.

I don't have to tell about you the sinking sensation of seeing your
work disappear before your eyes.

Besides you have time to break stuff in 2.8 :)

Bug list
---------

1. Changing an image's type, size, color space, source type or
changing the float buffer setting will delete all it's contents from
memory. This happens even if you don't actually change the values.

ref: developer.blender.org/T41598

2. No warning about unsaved changes to images (packed or otherwise)
when quitting. This is more of a UX issue, but it trips a lot of
people.

ref: developer.blender.org/T41598

3. Deleting files in the browser obliterates them instead of sending
them to the trash (there's also Campbell's suggestion of not deleting
stuff)

ref: developer.blender.org/T34467

4. There's no confirmation dialog when overwriting a file (while saving).
The red background is really easy to miss when working fast. There needs
to be something that makes you stop.

ref: developer.blender.org/T26124

5. Undo. Undoing in Blender is a bit like walking on a minefield. You have
to very conscious of where your mouse cursor is, when you switched
modes, and what the consequences of undoing might be.

For instance undoing with the cursor in a 3DView will delete the last few
lines/characters written in a text editor. You can't re-do to get back the text,
it's gone for good.

I understand this isn't an actual bug, since it's working as designed. It's just
not a very good design from a user point of view, and some of it's side effects
often look like bugs.

Maybe this can be tweaked without having to work out a full redesign

ref: developer.blender.org/T49894

BTW these are the ones I've hit personally. There might be others.
Cheers,

--
Diego Gangl - sinestesia.co