[Bf-committers] Current state of Blender's user experience

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 20:38:02 CEST 2016

Having spent much time learning and using both Blender and 3ds Max, I much
prefer the Blender way of doing things. It just feels much more efficient,
helps me model faster, and seems to make more sense relating to the task at
hand. I'm glad they took this approach, 3D modeling is not at all like
image editing or word processing and should not need to follow conventions
of programs which do those tasks. I don't know Maya so I can't comment
about it. I did feel that there's nothing especially well designed about
the 3ds Max user interface; it's extremely complex with features hidden
behind unlabeled buttons tucked into corners which enable even more very
complexity. I can hardly see how "conventions" such as these are helpful.

3D programs such as Blender, 3ds Max, and Maya are very specialized
software systems which were all developed independently by different groups
of people with different goals in mind. Each has it's own strengths and
weaknesses; use what works best for you. I prefer Blender.