[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes, 9 April 2016

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Apr 9 20:35:32 CEST 2016

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's LA 10 AM timezone meeting, #blendercoders irc.freenode.

1) Blender 2.77a release

- The release went out last week, all is fine with it. No showstoppers in bug tracker.

2) Blender 2.78 (or 2.8)

- There are a couple of ongoing projects we can do a new release for. No planning yet.
  (VR rendering, Headmounted disply support, Alembic, etc)

- Main meeting topic was brought in by Thomas Dinges: where are the plans for 2.8!?
Meeting agreed on not planning any new release before we (also) have a solid planning for 2.8.

- A good way to get this started is to open a (first) 2.8 branch with all of the code we
want to refactor or redesign removed. That could mean: no viewport code, no particles, no
game engine, no sequencer, etc. It's OK if the branch is dysfunctional for a while.

Developers who then need to do even more radical work can fork this branch and work on
their modules.

We did something similar back then for 2.5. In the end we just put back a lot of old code
still - for the sake of having things work - but we could also fix a lot of design flaws.

Next meeting (18 April) we aim at having a 2.8 branch proposal for the meeting to agree on.

3) Other projects

- Kevin Dietrich has an Alembic patch ready for review:
https://developer.blender.org/T48075

- Mai Lavelle submitted Cycles microdisplacement code. Brecht van Lommel reviews.
https://github.com/maiself/blender/tree/microdisp

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute