[Bf-committers] Some Ideas for a Blender Plugin System (hewi)

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Tue Nov 10 11:24:31 CET 2015

Hey Hewi

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 07:34:20AM +0000, hewi jupama wrote:
> In an ideal world, you should (re)write Blender's core and dived all
> the rest into plugins, unfortunately that is not possible.  Way too
> many circular dependencies, even way down to the core (GHOST
> depending on <string.h>, what the F**).

What's wrong with something depending on string.h?

> eventually you are left with a solid black box, which will never
> fail

A black box that never fails, no matter how strange the code is that
links into it, I think that can't exist. It would need so many checks
on that linked-in code, that I'm fairly sure the problem can be
reduced to the halting problem [1].

Of course we all aim at rock solid software, but I don't see how
third-party plugins will help with that.

> An other nice example of a good plug-in would be a browser.
> Wouldn't that be cool to be able to browse inside Blender :)

I desperately don't want that.

Don't get me wrong, I really like that we're discussing possible forms
of plugin structures, as it provides us with different views on the
subject. I fully agree that simplifying dependencies and interfaces
between Blender's components is a good thing. However, I don't share
the vision that a plugin system is the only approach to this, or that
will make things easier to develop & fix.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

http://stuvelfoto.nl/