[Bf-committers] Some Ideas for a Blender Plugin System

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:24:27 CET 2015

Hi all,

If we want to go for speed.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 3:16 PM, François T. <francoistarlier at gmail.com>
wrote:

> - Cython does not have as much performance as pure C/C++

While this is true even making the RNA api accessible through cython would
be a step up compared to current situation

> - Python is still the best choice for prototyping and pipeline stuff
> - C/C++ API can be used for better performance without having the nightmare
> to dive into Blender core code to just add one modifier

Main problem I see here is that keeping such an API stable is a non trivial
job

> Most of the modifier we are developping in Maya are first done in Python,
> but then it is port to C++ for performance matter. Same approach would be
> nice in Blender.
>

> And in some cases like sharing code for importer/exporter in alembic, fbx
> would be more easier if it was done as a plugin rather than being embeded
> in our blender build

As we discussed on the blender conference I think your Alembic work might
actually be useful by attempting to port it to our existing RNA C++-API and
see what work needs to be done on that API in that way.