[Bf-committers] Generic Drag&drop for Importers?

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Sun May 17 18:29:17 CEST 2015

Hi,

I feel a bit like this discussion is now being held in two places at once (here and the tracker[1]). I won't repeat my entire post here, but one point to note that I think is very important is that one of the main advantages of DnD, imho, is that you can bypass the menu traversion alltogether (import > look for the right importer ( > double-check what file you've got again)).

In response to "User specifies which importer to use (no automatic search)": For a DnD action, I would actually prefer the choice as described in the task by Bliblu Bli[2]. To me, a DnD action is all about speed and ease of use, and anything that can work towards that cause is a win to me.

Lastly, RE "Import options can be modified in the import operator panel": I don't see DnD as a replacement of the imports as they exist today, but purely as an addition. I would like a way to quickly switch to the import options (I made a proposal in the task[3]), but I don't think the modal importer should be the only interface.

Cheers,
Patrick

[1] https://developer.blender.org/T44670
[2] https://developer.blender.org/T44670#309193