[Bf-committers] RFC: "Continuous integration" branch?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 18:59:46 CET 2015

Francois, this is really bad altitude which should be even mentioned in
open source projects like Blender (this might be acceptable in other
open-source project if it's some really nasty security issue found and work
is needed to solve it, without attracting all the bad guys around). This is
not something we would ever accept in our project.

To conclude:

- We'll update dev.b.o rather soon, with latest phabricator and
differencial filtering patches applied
- It is fine to have staging-<D123>-some_awesome_feature branches to
accumulate patches which would be applied after the release

This way we're addressing the root of the issue which is patches being
forgotten in the tracker and we don't distract development process at all.

For other cases everyone is welcome get use of de-centralized nature of Git
and have patches in their local branches for until git is open. Or it it'd
a bigger change create a temp branch in our repository which then will get
removed after the merge.

Would consider the discussion closed. If there's some strong disagreement
be welcome to talk to be or Campbell in IRC.

P.S. dev.b.o update will cause some downtime of the resource, i'll try to
minimize it as much as possible and do at the time when majority of the
people around are sleeping. Details i'll mail to the list once the patched
phabricator is totally backed and ready for deployment.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin