[Bf-committers] Building with OpenVDB and OSL: a Boost case

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 11:57:22 CEST 2015

Generally we'll need to update OIIO/OSL (due to the fixes), which could
happen together with Boost update if really needed.

But one thing is not totally clear to me after reading this discussion --
why do we need to bump boost requirement on Linux?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM, Kévin Dietrich <kevin.dietrich at mailoo.org>
wrote:

> If Boost 1.57 on Linux isn't really feasible (I had to compile it for
> instance), then there isn't that much options. It's either patch Boost
> and ask people to compile that or reimplement in OpenVDB (to be clean)
> the stuffs in boost that cause problem (should resolve to copy-paste +
> replace/remove typeid thingy). The later case means we'll likely have to
> maintain our own set of patches for VDB for until newer boost is in
> official Linux repos as I hardly see such a change being accepted
> upstream (as it's already in newer Boost or whatever). Still worth a try
> though. In the end, that depends on people's motivation.
>
> Le 2015-06-15 09:43, Martijn Berger a écrit :
>
> > Hi Kevin,
> >
> > I want to do a coordinated effort to upgrade the windows and OS X
> libraries
> > after 2.75 is out the door.
> > In addition to openvdb, Alembic might need to be included, also updates
> > llvm, boost, osl, oiio, and maybe other might be in order.
> > (OpenSubDiv and PTex I am now sure about (for ptex we use OIIO i think
> ?))
> >
> > I am fine with bumping boost to 1.57 for windows / OS X but I am not sure
> > about linux.
> > For Linux It seems to me that it is to new and that we should try to keep
> > boost 1.48 minimal requirement if we can.
> > If that is unfeasible we should bump no higher then 1.54 for linux as
> then
> > we have debian and ubuntu stable to consider.
> >
> > Martijn
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Kévin Dietrich <
> kevin.dietrich at mailoo.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I mail here because it can affect anyone who builds Blender, not just
> >> the Cycles freaks ;)
> >>
> >> As a reminder, OpenVDB is making use of, and relies on libraries making
> >> use of, C++ built-in run-time type information (RTTI). On the other
> >> hand, LLVM (used by OSL) has a home brew version and does not want to
> >> hear about the built-in one by default.
> >>
> >> The most straightforward way to address this is by building LLVM with
> >> RTTI enabled, and build OSL accordingly.
> >>
> >> But that's maybe not a possibility (because of a lot of reasons), so
> >> RTTI usage in VDB will need to be taken care of. By compiling Cycles
> >> with both VDB and OSL it appears that most RTTI symbols that give issues
> >> are in everyone's favorite library: Boost (I have version 1.54 here).
> >> There's also one in TBB, but it can be avoided by disabling the use
> >> exceptions there.
> >>
> >> Although patching OpenVDB so it compiles fine with RTTI disabled is a
> >> no-brainer (~10 changes), we will need to upgrade boost to at least
> >> version 1.57. Which should also comprise the fix for the Windows compile
> >> issue raised by Antony.
> >>
> >> I've just installed it, and as far as I can tell, it seems to work fine
> >> (_YMMV_). I've forked the openvdb repository, so to test things out you
> [...]

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin