[Bf-committers] Preferences:system:Sequencer / clip editor/ Memory Cache problems

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 16:49:54 CET 2015

But we do have some units like my kHz example. Once I found the hover it
was not as important so I agree with you but it would seem better to have
it.

Do you feel that a 2gb machine is in alignment with the new graphics card
minimum?

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Units are mentioned in the tooltip. Surely it'll be nice to have units
> somewhat more visible, but this is a bit bigger topic. For example, next
> question would be: what are the units for the muxing rate in the encoding
> settings. Something to llok into for the UI team perhaps.
>
> Default values are conservative and should be aligned with the minimum
> requirements we're setting on the hardware [1]. Current minimum is 2Gb
> machine. Bumping cache size limit will left yuo in the situation when all
> the memory is being used by the case and you'll start to have terrible
> swapping and slowdown.
>
> [1] http://www.blender.org/download/requirements/
>
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I see now that the units come up on hover but I still think they should
> be
> > there in the input box like KHz is for sample rade.
> >

> > On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I was just doing a fresh install of Blender and got to the preference
> > > setting for Memory Cache Limit and found two problems.
> > > First what are the units? I thinking it is megabytes but it could be K
> or
> > > even G. So it needs units. The second problem is the default setting. I
> > > think it is way to low. 1024K? I have 16gb of ram with about half of
> that
> > > free most of the time. I don't think that is unusual for a modern
> > graphical
> > > system. So if the units are in mb then it is currently set at 1gb?
> Might
> > > not at least 2 be more normal lower limit for a lever bad blender
> > computer?
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Douglas E Knapp