[Bf-committers] Preferences:system:Sequencer / clip editor/ Memory Cache problems

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 14:36:19 CET 2015

Units are mentioned in the tooltip. Surely it'll be nice to have units
somewhat more visible, but this is a bit bigger topic. For example, next
question would be: what are the units for the muxing rate in the encoding
settings. Something to llok into for the UI team perhaps.

Default values are conservative and should be aligned with the minimum
requirements we're setting on the hardware [1]. Current minimum is 2Gb
machine. Bumping cache size limit will left yuo in the situation when all
the memory is being used by the case and you'll start to have terrible
swapping and slowdown.

[1] http://www.blender.org/download/requirements/

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see now that the units come up on hover but I still think they should be
> there in the input box like KHz is for sample rade.
>

> On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was just doing a fresh install of Blender and got to the preference
> > setting for Memory Cache Limit and found two problems.
> > First what are the units? I thinking it is megabytes but it could be K or
> > even G. So it needs units. The second problem is the default setting. I
> > think it is way to low. 1024K? I have 16gb of ram with about half of that
> > free most of the time. I don't think that is unusual for a modern
> graphical
> > system. So if the units are in mb then it is currently set at 1gb? Might
> > not at least 2 be more normal lower limit for a lever bad blender
> computer?
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Douglas E Knapp